Timeline of Public Library Development in Blair County
1860 Altoona Mechanics Library established and maintained by Pennsylvania Railroad.
1900 Mechanics Library moved to abandoned Presbyterian Church on 11th Avenue.
1927 Mechanics Library closed and collection handed over to Roosevelt Junior High School.
1942 Hollidaysburg Library established in Gradale Room in basement of YM-YWCA.
1944 Hollidaysburg Library moved to Snyder Store room at 517 Allegheny Street.
1948 Martinsburg Library established on second floor of Municipal Building.
1950 Williamsburg Library established in back room of Williamsburg Borough Building.
1959 Roaring Spring Library established in WVAM Cove Studio rooms, 507 E. Main St.
1960 Altoona designated District Library Center for Blair, Bedford and Huntingdon Counties.
1961 Roaring Spring Library moved to rooms in Borough Hall.
1964 County Convention of School Districts directed Superintendent of Schools to assist libraries.
Blair County Library System is Born
1965 Blair County Commissioners formalized intent to cooperate.
Bellwood Library established in former Cook Building on Main Street.
Claysburg Library established in Mauk log house, corner of Church & Bedford Sts.
Tyrone Library established in a downtown store front.
1966 Interlibrary Loan delivery began functioning between libraries.
Roaring Spring Library moved to Eldon Inn when Borough Council purchased the site.
1967 Altoona Library moved to new building on school district property, corner 17th St.& 6th Ave.
Tyrone Library moved to a larger, private home.
Hollidaysburg Library moved to newly constructed building, corner of Clark & Allegheny Sts.
1968 Williamsburg Library moved to a former home and attached bank building at 420 W. 2nd St.
1980 Bellwood Library moved to newly constructed building at 526 Main Street.
Martinsburg Library moved to renovated Park Building on Walnut Street.
Hollidaysburg Library opened children’s room in library basement.
Claysburg Library moved into rented Carlton Leslie Building.
1981 Tyrone Library moved to Fraternity Hall at 1019 Logan Ave.
1982 Claysburg Library moved to donated and renovated Bedford Street site.
1983 Blair County Library System met the minimum standards to qualify for State Aid.
1984 System Libraries join Access Pennsylvania Database.
1986 Altoona Library catalog and circulation became automated.
1990 Bellwood Library catalog and circulation fully automated.
1994 Hollidaysburg Library fully automated.
1995 Claysburg, Martinsburg, Roaring Spring & Tyrone Libraries fully automated.
1998 Bellwood Library completed addition to building, nearly doubling available space.
Bellwood Library catalog mounted on World Wide Web.
2000 Altoona Library catalog mounted on Web.
2001 Claysburg, Hollidaysburg, Martinsburg, Roaring Spring, Tyrone & Williamsburg on Web.
2001 Williamsburg Library moved into renovated Presbyterian Church building at 511 W. 2nd St.